October 11, 2013
The Department of Primary Industries (DPI) is inviting north west farmers to a series of winter crop field days in Tamworth, Breeza and Pine Ridge on 15-17 October.
DPI Manager Northern Cropping Systems, Dr Guy McMullen, said the field days are a great opportunity for growers and advisors to hear the latest trial updates and crop management issues first hand from DPI cropping experts.
“We have several field days in the north west for industry groups, agronomists, and growers to get together and hear the issues that are currently impacting northern farming systems,” Dr McMullen said.
“DPI works collaboratively with the Grains Research & Development Corporation (GRDC) and local farmers on trial sites across the north west to provide independent research to the cropping industry.
“This research includes the Variety Specific Agronomy Packages (VSAP), Pulse Agronomy and virology, Integrated Disease Management, chickpea and durum breeding, safflower and pulse projects to help growers maximise the performance of their crop production.”
The DPI speakers include:
– Dr Kevin Moore Senior Plant Pathologist Tamworth
– Dr Andrew Verrell Research and Development Agronomist Tamworth
– Joop van Leur Plant Pathologist Tamworth
– Dr Kristy Hobson Chickpea Breeder Tamworth
– Dr Gururaj Kadkol Durum Wheat Breeder Tamworth
– Matthew Gardner Research Agronomist Tamworth
– Kathi Hertel Research and Development Agronomist Narrabri
– Steven Simpfendorfer Senior Cereal Plant Pathologist Tamworth
– Leigh Jenkins Research and Development Agronomist Trangie
North west field days include:
Breeza – Tuesday 15 October at Liverpool Plains Agricultural Field Station at am
Tamworth – Wednesday 16 October at Tamworth Agricultural Institute at am
Pine Ridge – Thursday 17 October Cereal Agronomy trials at “Connamara” Warrah Ridge Road at 7.30 – 9.00 am and Chickpea trials at “Gunnadilly” Bundella Road at 9.30 – 11.00 am